Library Trustees Meeting
February 25, 2012
Carol Brown, Vice-chair
William Roberts, Secretary
Wendy Rowe, Chair
Margaret Perkins, Acting Director
- Approval of Agenda
Motion to approve the agenda (1:00PM) MAC1, CB2
- Citizens Speak
- Working session: FY2013 budgeting for Medway 2020 items
The trustees felt that we should immediately get a Nook & and the Sony ebook reader
(with overdrive ebooks installed) for the device petting zoo (so the staff
can demonstrate them). We already have a Kindle long-term loaned by a Trustee. Next budget year, we should buy 3 or so more Sonys.
With 3, Margaret would let them circulate.
We should have a program that offered training on these devices.
The town is getting permission to do CORI checks.
Adjournment; next meeting March 6
- The cable people visited to see what would need doing to install cameras and such in the Cole room plus 1 camera in the story room and 1 in the meeting room, to set up the rooms for viewing and broadcasting video.
- More outlets are likely, including the periodical room.
- The town may cover what we have been spending from donations and
the Tuchinsky interest (including materials and the 4 extra hours). This will free
that money for more exciting things. The Trustees felt that something
like $10,000 was a prudent goal to spend.
- The Selectmen have made it clear that we are to avoid recurring
costs, but they did say that if we made a good case there could be some exceptions. They have no interest in hiring a full time Library Director
this year, even though that would make more of the initiatives possible.
- We're getting more computers through the town's capital plan so there'll
be something to put in the downstairs area.
- Hiring a custodian for after-hours meeting room and internet computer access seems feasible.
- MaryAnn had the swell notion of using the meeting room (with its
nice glass and excellent feng shui generally) instead of the periodicals
room for the reading and computer room. The periodicals room would then
become the conference room. There is the question of size. The periodicals
room is somewhat larger.
- We should look into getting a music performance license.
- We should contract to have more "Time for Twos" programs.
- There was the question of whether we should use some of the money
to increase library hours. Four more hours would get us more state aid.
It could be funded by increasing staff hours without hiring (and so avoiding
the dread recurring costs). There wasn't universal agreement on this. It will
be included with the possible things.
- Ed felt we should spend some to make our website more useful and welcoming.
There's a service that the some of the surrounding towns use that would cost
something like $600 a year (with a presumably larger one time charge to
get it set up).
- There was a discussion of partially reviving the Senior outreach. It
would need to be limited to delivering what is requested (Bill, when we
had an outreach librarian, used to make selections for people). The deliveries
could possibly be made by a Senior Tax relief person.
- Possibly have a One Book, One Medway event in conjunction with the
Historical society (using one of the books about Medway) for the 300th.
- Wendy and Margaret will get a concrete proposal of what we can do
together for the March meeting.
Motion to adjourn (3:10PM), MAC1, CB2